WELCOME TO THE ICE2022 HELSINKI!
The International Congress of Entomology returns to Europe, for the first time in 25 years! The Finnish capital Helsinki is proud to host the ICE congress with latitude!
PRESENTATION ABSTRACTS: the submission portal closed on April 19, and abstract editing (extended deadline) closed on 12 May. Therefore, currently the abstract portal is closed, and authors cannot access their abstracts any more. This is the reason why you do not see your abstract any more at your personal site at the portal. Please, trust us: all submitted abstracts are safe and will be available in the book of abstracts (electronic only) by the time of the congress. The organizers are focusing now on finalizing the detailed congress program.
Program-at-a-glace is now available – click here!
POSTER Boards for poster presentations: The dimensions are
103 cm (broad) and 220 cm (height). Please prepare your poster to fit on that space (no other specifications for the poster). Posters are attached on the board with pins (provided).
ACCEPTANCE OF PRESENTATION ABSTRACTS: please note that the congress organization is not sending formal acceptance letters concerning the acceptance of presentation abstracts. You can check the status of your abstract by logging on into your personal file and accessing your abstract. For further instructions please CLICK HERE.
EXTENSION OF DEADLINE: Presenting authors must pay the registration fee by Friday 6 May 2022 in order to keep their presentation in the congress programme, and to have the abstract published in the Book of Abstracts.
GENERAL DEADLINE for making any changes is 12 May 2022. After that we will not make changes such as updating your email addresses, or changes concerning the titles of presentations, authors, etc. You still can edit your personal information file using your current log-in data. If your email address is due to change between 12 May and 17 July, please negotiate with your service provider an extension of use until the congress.
The Finnish Science Center HEUREKA offers 50% discount to ICE2022 participants on entrance fee during the congress. This Includes registered Accompanying Persons. HEUREKA will show the film “The Secret World of Moths” twice daily during the congress, see info under Accompanying Persons’ Programme.
April 2022 Newsletter is now available (16.4.2022)! Click here to read: ICE2022 April 2022 Newsletter
HUB-Day (Wed. 20.7.2022) detailed program is available: click on HUB-Day. (14.4.2022)
ABSTRACT EDITING PORTAL is now open! (11.4.2022)
- Lead authors of submitted abstracts can now edit their abstracts in our new congress portal, for the period of ONE MONTH – until 12 May 2022. It is also possible to add or remove authors to the abstracts. For further instructions please CLICK HERE.
Programme for Accompanying Persons has been completed. CLICK HERE to view! (11.4.2022)
Nature adventure tours suggested to all participants
- We have added suggestions for participants and their families to seize the opportunity and explore the natural wonders of the last and largest unspoiled natural environments in Europe, during your stay in Finland. Please click HERE for inspiration, and start planning!
- Interested in playing golf? Please check this updated link!
- Abstracts for presentations can be submitted until Tuesday 19 April 2022. AFTER 19 April 2022 no new presentation abstracts will be accepted. This applies to all types of presentations (oral, or poster) and submissions to the Open Call, as well as to abstracts for presentations in specific symposia. We are sorry for this harsh deadline – but we need time to organise the symposia based on open call abstracts, after two years of the pandemic.
- Transfers of registration to another person must be requested by Tuesday 19 April 2022. After that no transfers will be made. Thank you for all the requests for transfer. It showed to us that our system works.
- Letters of Invitation have to be requested latest on Tuesday 19 April. After that no letters of invitation will be issued. NOTE: This deadline has been shortened from the previously announced deadline.
- Presenting authors must pay the registration fee by Friday 6 May 2022 (deadline has been extended!) in order to keep their presentation in the congress programme, and to have the abstract published in the Book of Abstracts. After 6 May 2022 presentations by delegates who have not paid the registration fee will be deleted.
- The end of registration to ICE2022Helsinki at the regular registration rate will close on 31st May 2022. After that only walk-in (on-site) registrations are possible. Limited number of walk-in registrations are available, due to covid19 restrictions.
- Welcome Booth at the Helsinki Airport for ICE2022Helsinki participants! See HERE.
- Reminder: Our congress venue is the Congress and Exhibition Center Helsinki (Messukeskus), link: Messukeskus | Welcome
- Mark Wednesday 20th of July 2022 into your calendar: HUB-DAY! The HUB-DAY (20th of July 2022) is also open for the registered accompanying persons.
- The reception at the Helsinki City Hall will be on Wednesday the 20th of July in the evening (starting at 7 PM/19:00). Address of the Helsinki City Hall: Pohjoisesplanadi 11-13, 00710 Helsinki.
- Updated template of an INVITATION LETTER for those who need it for visa application to Finland, is now available under ‘General information – Invitation letter’ on the left side panel.
Visit the insect collections at the Finnish Museum of Natural History during your stay in Helsinki
- With over nine million specimens, the insect collections of the Finnish Museum of Natural History LUOMUS are among the largest in Europe. Research visits to the collection during July 18-22, 2022 can be booked here, link: LUOMUS visits
- If planning to visit the collections outside of this time period, please contact the technical collection managers, link: LUOMUS collections. Notice that the collection is closed during weekends.
UPDATE on 2 March 2022:
UPDATE on 26 Feb 2022:
- Follow-up conference in Helsinki 24-28 July 2022: the HENNIGXXXIX! Stay a week longer in Helsinki! The Willi Hennig Society advances theory, methodology, and practice of phylogenetic systematics for both living and fossil organisms, with emphasis on areas of common interest to all taxonomists. See link to the HENNIGXXXIX
- Clarifications to the ICE2022Helsinki congress refund policy can be viewed HERE.
- Possibility to present pre-recorded contributions:
The ICE2022Helsinki congress will be held in-person only – not online (which for a global congress is a nightmare in terms of timing). We have discussed, however, at the Local Organizing Committee (LOC) about allowing pre-recorded presentations in some cases: we agree to allow a MAXIMUM OF TWO presentations per symposium to be pre-recorded and presented by someone actually present at the symposium. Please note that also in this case, the author (speaker) of the pre-recorded presentation has to be a registered congress participant. This should be agreed upon by the speakers and the symposium organizers – we at the LOC cannot engage in this activity due to shortage of persons. If necessary, you can also change the symposium organizers (contact persons/chairs), in case the current chairs cannot attend.
UPDATE on 27 Jan 2022:
Instructions for changing/editing your personal information about your registration:
Go to the site:
This takes you to the log-in site.
Choose at the upper right-hand corner the language you wish to use (for most participants English)
Your username = your email address which was used for registration to ICE2022
Enter your password. If you forgot your password, you can ask for a new one by clicking at “Forgot your password?”
Editing your submitted abstract:
All submitted abstracts have been transferred from our previous service provider to the database at our current service provider. There is no need to re-submit your already submitted abstract.
The possibility to access your abstract and to modify it is under construction and will be available soon. We will notify all participants when this is operational. Please rest assured: you will be allowed to modify or completely change your presentation abstract in due time before the congress. We will set a deadline so that you will have about one month time-window (minimum) to carry out these changes.
Symposium organizers access to information about their symposium:
Symposium organizers (= those whose congress-ID carries the label “symposium organizer”) can already access their symposium and check the status of abstracts submitted to their symposium. Stepwise instructions can be viewed HERE.
Our November 2021 Newsletter is available, click HERE
List of Symposia at ICE2022 can be viewed HERE. Please note that the list is still incomplete, and that not all proposed and accepted symposia have been confirmed. View it as “work in progress”.
by the President of the ICE2022 Helsinki Organizing Committee (to the participants of the symposium on “Insect Olfaction and Taste” – see our August 2021 Newsletter – but extended here to all other entomologists!).
AUGUST 2021 NEWSLETTER NOW AVAILABLE
for latest updates about the ICE2022 Congress please click here: Newsletter August 2021
FINNISH GOLF COURSES TO HELP WITH THREATENED AND DECLINING INSECTS
The ICE2022Helsinki organizers have initiated collaboration with Finnish golf courses to help threatened and declining inscets. The Finnish Golf Union has produced a guide for golf courses to support pollinating insects, and together with the ICE2022Helsinki organizers have agreed to prepare a practical guide on promoting rare and endangered insect species within the golf course settings.
Several Finnish golf courses already have – on their own initiative – taken measures and established habitats for endangered insects, such as the chequered blue lycaenid butterfly (Scolitantides orion) at a golf course 5 km away from one of the few locations of its occurrence in Finland. Another course has had a thorough nature inventory made as a MSc-thesis, and a PhD-Thesis was recently completed on “Biodiversity in golf courses and its contribution to the diversity of open green space in an urban setting”.
For more information click HERE.
The 26th International Congress of Entomology in Helsinki, Finland, has been postponed until July 2022
The continuing covid-19 pandemic in key countries and regions such as the USA, Latin America, UK, Germany, etc. is forcing us to postpone the 26th International Congress of Entomology in Helsinki, Finland, by another year: the new dates are 17-22 July 2022. Rest assured: these are the final dates, and we will not postpone the congress further.
After sending out our December 2020 Newsletter we conducted a comprehensive survey among our Scientific Advisory Board and many other key organizing partners around the globe, concerning the covid-19 situation in their countries, and institutional policies for travels. The result does not leave any other reasonable option than postponement of the congress until 2022: Only 6% of participants, who have registered to participate in the congress, believe that they will get a permit to travel to Helsinki to the congress in July this year. Two out of three (66%) of participants would NOT get a permit to travel, and the rest say that it depends on the development of the pandemic in their home country, and in Finland. Information about the covid-19 infection numbers is available on the internet.
Vast majority of participants are not expected to get vaccinated against covid-19 before summer or autumn of the current year.
Replacing a physical meeting with a fully on-line virtual meeting fulfils only partially the objectives of an international congress of entomology: for many participants meeting colleagues and networking is an equally important reason to attend, to excellent science and participating in presentations about the latest developments in entomology. We wish to offer our participants the possibility of a safe physical congress – after two years of lockdown and not meeting colleagues. This should be an additional incentive to participate in the event in summer of 2022 in Helsinki.
We will send additional details as soon as possible and will continue our registration transfer and other policies as indicated previously, till 2022.
December 2020 newsletter is available here.
Congress postponed, new dates 17-22 July 2022
The ICE2020Helsinki Local Organizing Committee has decided to postpone the congress by one more year, due to the global coronavirus situation. The new dates for the congress are 17-22 July 2022.
Important points concerning the postponement:
* all registrations to the congress will be transferred as such to the new dates without extra costs to the participants.
* cancellation policy remains as mutually agreed at the time of your registration (see congress website). However, paid registrations can be transferred to another person, without extra costs to the participants (contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request transfer).
* already accepted abstracts remain accepted, and can be freely edited by authors to reflect new research, until April 30, 2022.
* presenting author must be registered and paid before May 1, 2022, to ensure inclusion in the congress program.
* registration deadline (regular registration rate) is extended until 31 May, 2022.
* only walk-in rates will be available after June 1, 2022, to a limited number of delegates.
* queries concerning the functioning of our interface for registration, abstract submission, and abstract editing, should be addressed to email@example.com
We are determined to provide you with a most memorable International Congress of Entomology in July 2022 in Helsinki, Finland. We thank the President, Secretary General, and members of the ICE Council for their help and support in this process, as well as the numerous participants who have contacted us and advised us on this matter. Furthermore, we thank our service providers for their flexibility and understanding in this exceptional situation.
Nominations for recipients of ICE Council’s Certificates of Distinction 2020
The Council for Congresses of Entomology awards Certificates of Distinction for Outstanding Achievements at each International Entomological Congress. In Helsinki, the Council is pleased to advise that there will be recognition of outstanding entomologists representative of the depth and breadth of entomological science. The nominations Committee and Council unanimously endorsed the following three candidates: Dr. Mariana Federica Wolfner, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA; Dr. Nina Wedell, University of Exeter, U.K.; and Dr. Li LiYing, Guangdong Institute of Applied Biological Resources, Guangzhou, China.
For full information concerning these nominations, please click HERE
Free public transportation for all registered participants for the days of the congress!
NOW CONFIRMED FOR 2022 by the HSL
The Helsinki Regional Transport Authority HSL supports the ICE2020Helsinki congress by granting a free travelcard to all registered participants for the time of the congress, valid from 17 to 22 July 2022. The travel card covers the whole region (A, B and C zones), and allows participants to explore Helsinki and its surroundings for free. Please consider this possibility also when selecting the location of your accommodation. More information at: https://www.hsl.fi/en/help-and-info
Plenary speakers for ICE2022 Helsinki have been selected. We are excited to announce the following plenary speakers:
Gene Robinson, Segenet Kelemu, David Wagner, Naomi Pierce, Nina Wedell, Andrea Battisti, Janet Hemingway and Jianghua Sun!
Please click here for details.
Entomology for our planet
General email: ento2020helsinki[at]gmail.com
President of the Organizing Committee: prof. Heikki Hokkanen, email heikki.hokkanen[at]uef.fi