26th International Congress of Entomology 2020: Entomology for our Planet
Letter of Invitation
The Entomological Societies in Finland invite all entomologists from around the world to attend the XXVI ICE Congress 2020 in Helsinki in July 2020. The invitation has the full support of both national and local authorities into producing a professional meeting in the spirit of the XXV meeting of ICE in Orlando, Florida and the history of the ICE meetings since its first meeting in Brussels in 1910.
The Entomological Societies in Finland are very happy to welcome old and new colleagues to the beautiful capital of Finland. We believe that we have the perfect combination of great educational, scientific and artistic expertise, together with the organizational skills and infrastructure to create a successful and inspiring ICE Congress in Helsinki, 2020.
Finland is renowned for its expertise and achievements in entomology, which have been recognised world-wide. Hosting the ICE congress gives us the opportunity for us to share our knowledge, as well as to learn from best practices in entomology throughout the world.
We wish to emphasise some key items of particular interest to ICE2020Helsinki attendees:
- Finland as a destination offers breathtaking, unspoiled natural beauty, with endless forests, lakes, islands, marshland, and other exciting habitats for entomologists to explore, all within easy reach from the congress location.
- One of the major benefits of Helsinki as congress site is that it is easy to reach from many parts of the world. There are excellent flight connections from Asia, Europe, North America, and other parts of the world, which has made Helsinki one of the most attractive congress destinations in Northern Europe during recent years. As a compact city with outstanding public transport facilities, Helsinki is also a very easy city to move around in. This Nordic capital is known as a secure and clean city, with high standards of education and technology. In addition, the city is situated by the sea, surrounded by beautiful nature, design and architecture. The city of Helsinki is well equipped to meet all requirements with respect to congress facilities, as well as many options for hotel accommodation to suit all budgets and needs. Helsinki is large enough to provide all the services that a major conference may require, yet cosy enough to make delegates feel at home during their stay. Helsinki and its surroundings also offer numerous opportunities for excursions and leisure activities.
City of design
Helsinki has been awarded City of Design status as part of
the Creative Cities network established by UNESCO. (12/2014)
Helsinki in the European Smart City top class
Helsinki landed in the top tier of the European Smart City rankings,
due to the flow of information and the inclusion of its citizens. (3/2015)
Helsinki the 5th most liveable city in the world
Helsinki has been ranked as the fifth most liveable city in the world by Monocle’s quality of life index. Monocle magazine ranks the cities using
metrics such as crime statistics, a good educational system, and health
Helsinki ranked 2nd on the European Cities of the Future list
The city was commended especially for its ability to attract plenty of foreign investment. According to the Financial Times Helsinki’s success
is based on three key issues: research, development and innovations. (2/2014)
Best Places to Travel in 2014
Travel + Leisure Magazine praises Helsinki for innovative thinking and avant-garde landmarks as well as adventurous chefs and exciting cuisine.
- Excellent meeting facilities for the ICE Conference 2020 are offered by the centrally and beautifully located Finlandia Hall, which has a long history of organising large international congresses, including high-level governmental meetings. The congress dates have been set at 19-24 July 2020 (Sunday-Friday). According to our knowledge, these dates do not clash with any other large events or religious holidays. Bearing in mind the academic year, educational system and summer holiday period in Finland, this is the optimal time to organize a conference in Helsinki. The semester break at our universities allows us to use student dormitories for cheaper accommodation, as well as students as voluntary conference staff.
- We offer an environmentally conscious conference at affordable prices. The City of Helsinki promotes green values and strives to implement these values in all activities taking place in the city. Comparing to price levels in Europe, Helsinki rates as average. Finland became part of the European Monetary Union in 2002 and is the only Nordic country using the Euro as currency. Helsinki is also the most affordable of the Nordic capitals according to the Mercer Cost of Living Survey. The City of Helsinki offers a free WiFi service for residents and travellers alike. No password or registration is required.
- The Organizing Committee is an outstanding international committee with firm and solid roots in entomology. The Organizing Committee and the assisting Scientific Advisory Board are a highly distinguished international group, where all parts of the planet earth are represented. Our Organizing Committee will ensure that all aspects of the proposed congress will offer high-quality scientific content.
- Scientific programme.
We put our enthusiasm and support for entomology into organizing the ICE 2020 meeting. The congress in Helsinki will offer an outstanding, cutting edge scientific programme, with support from entomologists around the world. Despite a busy research, field, and teaching season typical for many of us, we propose that you take a break from your routines and join us into a successful and memorable XXVI ICE congress in Helsinki in 2020.
We would warmly like to welcome you to the beautiful city of Helsinki and look forward to meeting you.
Professor Heikki Hokkanen, agricultural entomologist
Chair of the ICE2020 Helsinki Organizing Committee
on behalf of the ICE2020 Helsinki Organizing Committee